If you’re like me, an insomniac, then you would have tried a number of alternatives to get the sleep you deserve. After a tiring day, you take a warm bath. You soak your stress away for the day. You then get ready. You then lay on your comfy, warm bed, say your night time thanks or prayers, then try to get some shut eye. But then there’s a problem – you realize it’s already 2am and you are still wide away! So, what should you do???
The most important tip I can give you: DON’T get hooked on prescription drugs! Avoid sleeping pills like Valium and avoid drinking Benadryl or other pills with Diphenhydramine HCl. You can become too dependent to these and have withdrawal symptoms after.
Okay – so here are a few NATURAL ways you can actually get better sleep.
- Set a sleeping schedule. You wake up at 5am, sleep at 10pm. Stick to that. Tend to oversleep on weekends? Set the alarm just to make you sure you don’t sleep TOO much. That can ruin your body clock and your cycle.
- Write things down. Keep a diary of your sleeping patterns or habits. What did you do that day that made you fall asleep faster? What did you eat or drink that left you wide awake? This will determine some key points you should avoid.
- Quit the tobacco. Nicotine is a stimulant, so it prevents you from falling asleep, and then there’s the withdrawal symptoms.. I could go on and on. Bottom line is, quite smoking!
- Check your medicines. Drinking several meds prescribed by your doctor? Ask your GP about the side effects of these. Some can make people palpitate or nervous.
- Exercise, but don’t do these four hours before you sleep. Keep your body active during the day and relaxed during the night. Makes sense right?
- Avoid Caffeine. Oh dear… But if you really MUST, then do it before 2pm! (wink)
- Take some time to relax. We all need to unwind after a day’s work. We all need to relax. Talk to your family and friends, share them your woes and troubles so that you don’t end up thinking about these every night before sleeping.
- Drink some non-fat milk before bed. It has an amino acid called tryptophan which promotes sleep.
- Add some lavender oil into your pillow or spray some in your room. The scent will relax you and calm your nerves.
- Keep your room relaxing and de-cluttered. How can you fall asleep if your room is a mess?
You can also try some HERBAL supplements to improve the quality of your sleep. Take note: herbal. That means, ALL NATURAL. You can look for these online, and I’ve personally tried Nidra Herbal Supplements. It wasn’t habit forming, I felt better and more energized. But that’s just me. You can try out what’s best for you :)
Speaking of good health, you should watch this video that showcases the benefits of exercise! Enjoy and cheers to a good life!